Eldon is a small settlement consisting of the village of Eldon and the small hamlet of Old Eldon which lies in the Dene Valley close to the major conurbations of Shildon and Bishop Auckland in County Durham.
Many of the houses date from the nineteenth or early twentieth centuries, although those in Old Eldon are of greater antiquity.
Eldon had an industrial past (mainly mining), but over the years there has been extensive reclamation and re-planting and we are lucky to live now in an area which is peaceful and surrounded by countryside with pleasant walks and pasture land; yet having the benefit of access for shopping and other key services to major towns nearby.
Our Parish Church, St. Mark’s opened in 1877. The War Memorial is situated in the grounds of the church.
We have a strong community spirit and a new community centre was built recently which is available for functions of all sorts and is fully licensed for music and also has a bar.
Eldon Parish Council consists of five Councillors and has one employee, the Clerk to the Council. The most recent elections for the Council were held in May 2017. The Council currently has a full complement of Councillors.
The Parish Council meets six times per year on the last Tuesday of every other month from May (which is the annual meeting) onwards. Meetings normally commence at 7.00 p.m. and members of the public are very welcome to attend and ask questions (subject to providing notice of the matter in advance). Future meetings are listed on our meetings diary. Papers and reports associated with our meetings can be found on the agendas and minutes section of our website.
The area is also served by three Durham County Councillors: